DMITROFF, a town of Russia, in the government of Moscow, 45 miles due north of the city of that name, in 56° 21' N. lat. and 37° 31' E. long., near the river Yakhroma, a sub-tributary of the Volga. Besides tho Cathedral of the Assumption and Paraskeue, an ancient building originally erected as a nunnery, it possesses seven churches, a monastery, a hospital, an ahnshouse, and factories for the manufacture of silk, wool, and cotton. The inhabitants also cultivate market-gardens for Moscow, and carry on a moderate trade in grain. The existence of Dmitroff is due to the grand-duke George Vladimirovitch, who happening, during his exile from Kieff, to receive on the spot the news of the birth of his son Demetrius, celebrated the event by founding the city aud assigning it as an apanage for his child. Demetrius continuPd in possession till he was himself called to the grand-ducal ' dignity in 1177. In 1301 the town_was the seat of a eucal diet ; in 1656 it was visited by a terrible pestilence ; and in the Polish-Lithuaniau invasion it witnessed the defeat of Sapieha by Prince Ivan Karukin. Population in 1873, 8042.