DIRSCHAU, in Polish Szczewo, a town of Prussia, in the government of Dantzie and. district of Stargard, on the left bank of the Vistula, at a railway junction about twenty miles S.S.E. of Dantzic. Besides dealing in wood and cattle, it displays considerable industrial activity in the manufacture of agricultural implements, iron and tin wares, and cement ; but its principal claim to attention is the lattice-work iron bridge, thrown across the river in 1850– 1857, which, with its total length of 2726 feet and its six spans of 410 feet each, is a noble testimony to the engineering skill of Lentze and Schinz, and affords a passage for the railway between Konigsberg and Berlin, for twa ordinary carriage roads, and two sideways for foot passen-gers. Unfortunately, as it lies only about 12 feet above the highest level attained by the river, and there is no opening for the passage of ships, it is necessary in passing under it to remove or drop the masts. J. Forster, the traveller, was born at Dirschau in 1729. Population in 1875, 9727.