DELITZSCH, a town of Prussia, in the province of Saxony, at the head of a district in the department of Merseburg, situated on the Lober, an affluent of the Mulde, 12 miles north of Leipsic at a railway junction. Its public buildings comprise an old castle of the 14th century now used as a female penitentiary, one Roman Catholic and three Protestant churches, a normal college (Schullehrerseminar) established in 1873, and several other educational institutions. Besides Kuhsehwanz, a peculiar kind of beer, it manufactures tobacco, cigars, shoes, and hosiery; and coal-mining is carried en in the neighbourhood. Originally a settlement of the Sorbian Wends, and in the 12th century part of the possessions of the bishops of Merseburg, Delitzsch ultimately passed to the SachsenMerseburg family, and on their extinction in 1738 was incorporated with Electoral Saxony. Ehrenberg, the famous naturalist, was born in the town in 1795. Population in 1875, 8235.