FREDERICK. CITY, the capital of Frederick county, Maryland, U.S., is situated on Carroll's Creek, a tributary of the Monocacy, 45 miles N.W. of Washington. It is well and regularly built, and most of its houses are of brick or stone. It has a considerable agricultural trade, and its industries include iron, wood, leather, paper, and the preserving of fruit and vegetables. Among its educational institutions are the college established by the State in 1797, the female seminary, the academy connected with the convent of the visitation nuns, and the deaf and dumb institution. During the civil war the city was occupied on different occasions by the opposing armies. The population of Frederick in 1860 was 8142, and in 1870 8526, of whom 1822 were coloured.