GANNAT, a town of France, capital of an arrondissement in the department of Allier, is situated on the Andelot, an affluent of the Allier, 33 miles S. by W. of Moulins. The vicinity is very pleasant, but the town is badly built and the streets are crooked and narrow. It possesses a tribunal of primary instance, a hospital, and a secondary school. There are limeworks, tanneries, cutleries, and sonic trade in corn, fruits, wine, and cattle. The town was formerly surrounded by walls, and what remains of its old castle is now used as a prison. The church of Sainte-Croix possesses a choir in the pure Auvergne style of the 11th century, and also some fine paintings. The population in 1876 was 5012.