GOOLE, a market town and river-port of England, West Riding of Yorkshire, is situated on the right bank of the Ouse, 25 miles W. of Hull, on the Hull and Doncaster Railway, and at the eastern terminus of the Wakefield, Pontefract, and Goole branch of the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway. About a mile north of Goole the Ouse is crossed by a railway swing bridge, worked by hydraulic power. Until it was made a bonding port in 1829, Goole was an obscure hamlet; but since the erection shortly afterwards of commodious docks, it has steadily advanced in prosperity. The harbour, 250 feet long and 200 wide, communicates by gates with the wet docks, which consist of the ship dock 700 feet by 200, with a depth of 18 feet, the railway dock GOO feet by 200, and the steamship dock 900 feet by 150. The town is well built, and possesses a fine modern parish church in the Perpendicular style, a Roman Catholic chapel in the Early English style, a neat custom-house, a market hall, a handsome courthouse, a union poorhouse, public, free, and national schools, and extensive warehouses for grain and other goods. The number of British ships that entered the port in 1877 was 1686, with a tonnage of 298,150; of foreign ships 62, with a tonnage of 16,399. The number of British ships that cleared was 2642, with a tonnage of 342,727 ; of foreign ships 64, with a tonnage of 17,038. There is regular steam communication with London and the principal Continental ports. The chief exports are coal, woollen goods, and machinery ; and the chief imports, butter, fruit, indigo, logwood, timber, and wool. The industries include the manufacture of alum, sugar, ropes, and agricultural instruments, and iron-founding. Shipbuilding is also carried on, and there is a large dry dock, and a patent slip for repairing vessels. The population in 1871 was 7680.
G 0 OSAN DER. See MERGANSER.