GERMERSHEIM, a fortified town in Rbeni Bavaria, the chief town of a circle, is situated at the confluence of the Queich and the Rhine, S miles S.W. of Spires. It possesses a Catholic and a Protestant church, a Latin school, and a hospital. The industries include fishing, shipbuildimr, brewing, the manufacture of cigars, and the cultivation of vegetables, fruit, flax, and hemp. The number of the garrison in the town is usually about 2500.
Germershehn existed as a Roman stronghold under the name of Vicus Julius. The citadel was rebuilt by the emperor Conrad 11., but the town itself was founded in 1276 by the emperor Rudolph 1. , who granted it the rights of a free imperial city. Ile died here in 1991. From 1330 to 1622, when it was conquered by Austria, the town formed part of the Palatinate of the Rhine. From 1644 to 1650 it was in the possession of France ; but on the conclusion of the peace of 'Westphalia it was again joined to the Palatinate. In 1674 it was captured and devastated by the French ruder Turenne, and after the death of the elector Charles in 1685, it was claimed by the French as a dependency of Alsace, on which account followed the Germersheim succession war, which lasted till the peace of Ryswick in 1697. Through the intervention of the pope in 1702, the French, on payment of a large sum, agreed to vacate the town, and in 1715 its fortifications were rebuilt. Gn the 3d July 1744 the French were defeated there by the imperial troops, and on the 19th and 22d July 1793 by the Austrians. In 1835 the beautiful new town was built, and the present extensive fortifications commenced. Population in 1875, including the garrison, 6456.