GOPPINGEN, a town of Wfirtemberg, circle of the Danube, on the right bank of the Fils, 22 miles E.S.E. of Stuttgart. It possesses an old castle erected by Duke Christopher in the 16th century, two evangelical churches, a Roman Catholic chapel, a synagogue, a real school, a classical school, and an advanced school. The manufactures include linen and woollen cloth, leather, glue, paper, machines, and toys. Three miles north of the town are the ruins of the old castle of Hohenstaufen, with the Barbarossa chapel, containing, besides other adornments, an old fresco of Frederick Barbarossa dating probably from the 16th century. Goppingen originally belonged to the house of Hohenstaufen, and at a later period came into the possession of the counts of Wfirtemberg. It was surrounded by walls in 1129. The population in 1875 was 9532.