GANGI, a town of Italy, in the province of Palermo, and circondario of Cefalu, about 22 miles inland front the town of Cefalu. It occupies the slope of a hill on the southern flanks of the Nebrode or Monte Marone, and the ridge of the hill is crowned by a striking fortress with three towers, only one of which, however, is entire. The inhabitants, who in 1871 numbered 12,921, cultivate grain and manufacture cheese in sufficient quantities to maintain a moderate trade. Gangi Vetere or Old Gangi, in the vicinity, is identified, according to a conjecture of Cluverius, with the ancient Enguimn or Engyum. The foundation of Enguitun was ascribed by Diodorus Siculus and Plutarch to a Cretan settlement, and Plutarch relates that relics of Meriones and Ulysses were exhibited in his time in the town. Having sided with the Carthaginians in the Second Punic War, it was saved from the vengeance of Marcellus by the entreaties of a certain Nicias. At the close of the republic it was a municipal town, with considerable celebrity on account of the temple of the Great Mother, as Cicero calls her.