GIVET, one of the strongest fortified towns of France, on the Belgian frontier, situated in the department of Ardennes, on the river Meuse, 40 miles N.N.E. of Mezieres. The Eastern French railway connects it with Rheims, and the Belgian railways connect it with Namur and Charleroi. It is divided into three portions--the citadel called Clearlemont, and Grand Givet on time left bank of the river, and on the opposite bank Petit Givet, connected with Grand Givet by a stone bridge cf five arches. The citadel of Charlemont, built by the emperor Charles V. in 1555, is situated at the top of a precipitous rock 705 feet high, and on the east side, by which alone it accessible, is fortified by six bastions and several other works. Grand Givet has four bastions and three ravel ins, and Petit Givet 3 bastions. The fortress has accommodation f, 25,000 men, but can be held by 3000 or 4000. The town is famed for its clay tobacco-pipes. There are also manufactures of nails, lead pencils, sealing wax, white lead, glue, earthenware, and leather, and the town has some trade. The population in 1876 was 5275.