GATH, one of the five chief cities of the Philistines. Its site appears to have been known in the 4th century, but the name is now lost. Eusebius (in the Onomasticon) places it near the road from Eleutheropolis (Beit Jibrin) to Diospolis (Ludd) about 5 Roman miles from the former. The Roman road between these two towns is still traceable, and its milestones remain in places. East of the road at the required distance rises a white cliff, almost isolated, 300 feet high, and full of caves. On the top is the little mud village of Tell-es-Safi (" the shining mound"), and round it are the mounds which mark the site of the crusading castle of Blanchegarde (Alba Custodia), built in 1144. Telles-Safi was known by its present name as far back as the 12th century, but it appears probable that the strong site here existing represents the ancient Gath. The cliff stands on the south bank of the valley of Elah, and Gath appears to have been near this valley (1 Sam. xvii. 2, 52). The name Gath, meaning a "winepress," designates several other places in Palestine.