GITSCHIN, the chief town of a circle in Bohemia, is situated on the Cydlina and on the North-West Austrian railway, 50 miles N.E. of Prague. The principal buildings are the parish church, erected after the model of the pilgrim's church of Santiago de Compostella in Spain ; the prison, formerly a Jesuit college ; the castle, built by Wallenstein in 1630 ; the gymnasium, the normal school, and the real school. There is a considerable trade in corn. Gitschin was made the capital of the duchy of Friedland by Wallenstein in 1627, at which time it contained only 200 houses. Wallenstein was interred at the neighbouring Carthusian monastery, but in 1639 the head and right hand were taken by General Bailer to Sweden, and in 1702 the other remains were removed by Count 'Vincent of Waldstein to his hereditary- burying ground at Mflnchengriitz. At Gitschin the Prussians gained a great victory over the Austrians, J tine 29, 1866. The population in 1869 was 6750.