LADBACII, or Al iiNCIIEN-GLADDACH, a flourishing and rapidly increasing manufactnring town of Rhenish Prussia, capital of a circle in the government district of Dtisseldorf, is situated 16 miles W.S.W. of the town of that name. It is one of the chief manufacturing seats of Rhenish Prussia, its principal industries being the spinning and weaving of cotton, the manufacture of silks, velvet, ribbons, and damasks, and dyeing and bleaching. There are also tanneries, tobacco manufactories, machine works, and foundries. The town possesses a chamber of commerce, a gymnasium, and a female school of the higher grade. There are an Evangelical and three Catholic churches, one of which possesses a choir of 1250, a nave dating from the beginning of the 12th century, and a crypt of the 8th century. Gladbach existed before the time of Charlemagne, and a Benedictine monastery was founded near it in 972 by Archbishop Gero of Cologne. The -population in 1855 was only 4398; but it had increased in 1858 to 13,965, in 1861 to 17,074, in 1871 to 26,351, and in 1875 to 31,962.