LA FLECHE, chief town of an arrondissement in the department of Sarthe, France, is situated on the right bank of the Loir, about 21 miles south-west of Le Mans. The chief buildings are the military academy (Prytamie), originally a, college founded in 1607 by Henry IV., the church of St Thomas, the prison, and the hospital. Near the bridge are the ruins of an ancient castle. La Fleche carries on manufactures of cloth, gloves, hosiery, candles, and glue, besides wax bleaching, tanning, and paper-making. It has the usual country trade, managed mainly by means of fairs. The population in 18-76 was 7468.