KRASNOYARSK, a town of eastern Siberia, capital of the extensive province of Yeniseisk, which stretches as a long strip from the Chinese frontier formed by the Sayan mountains to the shores of the Arctic Ocean. It is situated on the left bank of Yenisei river, at its confluence with the Kateha, and on the highway from Moscow to Irkutsk, 66'2 miles west-north-west from the latter. It was founded by Cossacks in 1628, and during the early years of its existence it was more than once besieged by the Tartars and Kirghiz. It became the capital of the province in 1822, and is now the seat of the provincial administration. Its commercial importance depends entirely upon the gold•washings of the Yeniseisk district, supplies for which are sent from Krasnoyarsk. The climate is very cold, but dry, so that in the steppe which surrounds the town there is but little snow, even in mid-winter. The Yenisei river is frozen for one hundred and sixty days at Krasnoyarsk. Population, 13,000.