Kizliar, Kizlyar, Or Kizlar
KIZLIAR, KIZLYAR, or KIZLAR, a town of Russia, in the government of Stavropol, 325 miles east of the government town, in the low-lying delta of the river Terek, about 35 miles from the shores of the Caspian. It lies to the left of the main stream between two of the larger secondary branches, and the whole is subject to flooding. The town proper, which spreads out round the citadel, has its Tartar, Georgian, and Armenian quarters ; the Russians for the most part live in the soldiers' " sloboda " or village. Of the public buildings it is sufficient to mention the Greek cathedral, dating from 1786 ; the Greek nunnery of the Elevation of the Cross, founded by the Georgian chief Daniel in 1736; the Armenian church of SS. Peter and Paul, remarkable for its size and riches. The population, which has increased from 8309 in 1861 to 9176 in 1872, is mainly supported by the gardens and vineyards irrigated by canals fed by the river. A Government vineyard and school of viticulture are situated 3i miles from the town. About 1,200,000 gallons of Kizliar wine are sold annually at the fair of Nizhni Novgorod. Kizliar is mentioned as early as 1616, but the most notable accession of inhabitants (Armenians, Georgians, and Persians) took place in 1715 ; and its importance as a fortress dates from 1736, when it received the garrison formerly stationed at Sv. Kresta on the Sulak in Daghestan. In 1785 it was made a district town. The incursion of Kazni Mulla in 1821, and the inundation in 1863, are the chief facts of more recent note. The fortress is no longer kept in repair.