Kuba, Or Kudial-kala
KUBA, or KUDIAL-KALA, a town of the Caucasus, in the government of Baku, Russia, 120 miles north-west from Baku, and 25 miles west of the Caspian. Its situation at the foot of the highlands of Caucasus, on a plain watered by the numberless branches into which the Kubinka river and other smaller streams divide at their issue from the mountain valleys, makes the neighbourhood very suitable for gardening, which is the chief occupation of the 11,300 inhabitants of Kuba, mostly Mussulman Shiites. They also make carpets with very bright colours, and some silks, which are exported to Transcaucasia and Russia ; whilst Jews, who are numerous, carry on an active trade in rough silk, madder, and silk and woollen goods, exported to Russia and Persia. The town, which formerly was a Persian fort, and stilt is protected on one side by brick walls, is badly built and dirty ; it suffers very much from fever. An unsuccessful attempt was made by the military authorities in 1825 to transport the town to New Kuba, 8 miles distant ; the new settlement did not increase, and the settlers returned to Kuba.