KLOSTERNEUBURG, a town in the official district of Hernals, Austria, is situated on the right bank of the Danube, 5i miles north-west of Vienna. It is divided by a small stream into an upper and a lower town, in the former of which are the ruins of a mediaeval fortress. The town has a local court, a hospital, an asylum for the insane, and a convent of Mekhitarists ; among the schools is an academy of wine and fruit cultivation. As an important pioneer station, it has various military buildings and stores. On a hill rising directly from the banks of the Danube, stand the magnificent buildings (erected 1730– 1834) of the Augustine canonry, founded in 1106 by Margrave Leopold the Holy. Tlds foundation is the oldest and richest of the kind in Austria ; it owns Much of the land upon which the north-western suburbs of Vienna stand. Among the points of interest within it are the old chapel of 1318, with Leopold's tomb and the altar of Verdun, the treasury and relic-chamber, the library with 30,000 volumes and many MSS., the picture gallery, the collection of coins, the theological hall, and the wine cellar, containing an immense tun like that at Heidelberg. The inhabitants of Klosterneuburg are mainly occupied in making wine, of excellent quality. There is a large cement factory outside the town. The population in 1869 was 5330, but has increased. In Roman times the castle of Citium stood in the region of Klosterneuburg. The town was founded by Charlemagne.