KINGSTON, the chief city of Ulster county, New York, United States, is situated on the west bank of the Hudson, about 90 miles north of New York. Its harbour is formed by the navigable portion of Rondout Creek. Among the chief buildings are the city hall, the music-hall, the almshouses, and the county buildings. Kingston is a very busy shipping centre, with 4 miles of wharfage, and steam and other shipping representing a considerable aggregate tonnage. As the centre of the blue stone region, Kingston ships an immense quantity of that mineral ; and, possessing the largest cement factory in the country, its out-turn of that material together with bricks, ice, lime, timber, and other goods swells the amount of its exports to upwards of a quarter of a million tons per annum. The manufactures of the town include salt, tobacco, glue, carriages, beer, boats, and bricks. The population in 1880 was 18,342.
Kingston city was incorporated in 1872. The first settlement on the spot was made about 1665. At Kingston was framed the first Constitution of New York State, in 1777. In September 1777 the British, under Sir Henry Clinton, scattered the State legislature which had met at Kingston, and in October burned the village.