LANDSKRONA, one of the principal seaport and garrison towns in Sweden, is situated in the district of Malmo (in Skania) on the Sound- (Oresund), about 55 miles west of Christianstad and 15 miles by water from Copenhagen. It is connected by a branch line with the south Swedish railway system. The harbour, protected by the island of Grden, is the deepest and best on the Skanian coast, and possesses excellent quays. A Swedish line of steamers runs regularly to Liibeek. Wood, grain, and clay are largely exported. In 1880 the number of foreign vessels entering the port was 1954, with a total burden of 135,894 register tons. Landskrona is one of the chief industrial towns of Sweden, the largest manufacture being sugar refining. The population was 7323 in 1868, and 9913 in 1880.
Landskrona, originally called Landora or LandOr, owes its first importance to King Erik X111., who introduced a body of Carmelite monks from Germany in 1410, and bestowed on the place the same privileges as those enjoyed by Malmo. In 1428 it was phmdered by the forces of the Wendish towns, and dining the wars of the 16th and 17th centuries it played too conspicuous a part for its own prosperity. horn took the town by storm in 1644 ; lluytcr blockaded the Swedish fleet in its harbour in 1657 ; and in 1676 was fought in the neighbourhood the great battle of Landskrona, which saved Sweden from the Danish invaders.