KETTERING, a market-town of Northamptonshire, is built on a slope near the Ise, a tributary of the Neu, 14 miles north-east of Northampton, and 75 miles north-west of London. The principal buildings are the church of SS. Peter and Paul, a good specimen of the Perpendicular style, with a tower and spire ; the church of St Andrew, built in 1870, in the Decorated style ; the town-hall and corn-exchange ; the temperance hall ; and the union workhouse. The water-works were erected in 1872 at a cost of 112,000. The chief manufactures of Kettering are boots, shoes, brushes, stays, clothing, and agricultural implements. There are iron-works in the immediate neighbourhood. The privilege of market was granted in 1227 by a charter of Henry III. The population in 1881 was 11,093.