KUTTENBERG (in Czech, Eutaui Ilora), chief town of an official district in central Bohemia, Austria, is situated on a small stream in a fertile region, about 180 miles north-west of Vienna by rail. It consists of the town and four suburbs, and among its buildings rich in historical and architectural interest are the Gothic five-naved church of St Barbara, begun in 1368 and not yet finished, several other churches, the Whlscher Hof, formerly a royal residence and mint, the seminary, formerly a bishop's seat, and the Gothic town-house. The manufactures include starch, rape-seed oil, beer, sugar, brandy, and liqueurs ; and there are various mills, and calico printing and wool-spinning establishments. The mines in the neighbourhood, discovered in 1237, used formerly to yield silver ; now they give only copper and lead. The population in 1870 was 12,747.