SIGMARINGEN, the seat of government of the Prussian administrative division of the same name, is a small town on the Danube with (1880) 4154 inhabitants. The division of Sigmaringen is composed of the two formerly sovereign principalities of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen and Hohenzollern-Hechingen (see HOHENZOLLERN, vol. xii. p. 52) and has an area of 440 square miles, with a population in 1880 of 67,624. The Sigmaringen part of the Hohenzollern lands was the larger of the two (297 square miles) and lay mainly to the south of Hechingen, though the district of Haigerloch on the Neckar also belonged to it. The name of Hohenzollern is used much more frequently than the official Sigmaringen to designate the combined principalities.