SELANGOR lies to the south of Perak, and consists mainly of the basins of the Selangor, the Kiang, and the Langat, of which the last two meet in a common delta to the south of 3° N. lat. Previous to 1880 the seat of the British resident and staff was at Kiang, at the head of 13-feet navigation on the Kiang river ; at that date it was transferred to Kwala Lumpur, at the junction of the Gombah with the Klang, the highest point reached by the cargo boats which bring up provisions for the tin-miners and return with tin, gutta-percha, and other produce. There are tin mining settlements at Kanching, Ulu Selangor, Ulu Bernam, Ulu Cornball, Ulu Kiang, Ulu Langat, Sungie Pateh Recko, Kajang, Ampagnan, Ste. The mine at Ampagnan was bought for 170,000 dollars by Singapore merchants. The population of Selangor (50,000,-29,000 of them Chinese) is rapidly increasing by immigration from China, India, and Sumatra. Since the close of the civil war (1867-74) and the acceptance of the British resident the country has rapidly developed. At the mouth of the Selangor lies the town of that name, with ruins of an old Dutch fort and the stone on which the snitans of Selangor receive investiture. At Kiang, up the Kiang river, lies the principal port of the country, now connected by railway with Kwala Lumpor (22 miles distant), the capital, which has grown into a considerable town, with a hospital, Government house, residency, &c. The sultan resides at Jug,ra, on a deltaic branch of the Langat. The revenue of Selangor was estimated at 596,877 dollars iu 1884; but the war debt was still 259,000 dollars in 1883.