STALYBRIDGE, a municipal and parliamentary borough of England, partly in Lancashire but principally in Cheshire, is situated on the Tame, 1 mile east of Ashton-under-Lyne, and 71- east of Manchester. The Tame is crossed by bridges connecting the counties of Chester and Lancaster. The principal public buildings are the town-hall (1831), the Foresters' hall (1836), the district infirmary, the mechanics' institute (1861), the people's institute (1864), the market-hall (1866), and the Oddfellows' hall (1878). Stamford park, extending to about 60 acres, and lying between Stalybridge and Ashton, was opened 12th July 1873. The town is one of the oldest seats of the cotton manufacture, the first cotton mill having been erected in 1776 and the first steam engine in 1795. In addition to extensive cotton mills, it possesses woollen factories, iron and brass foundries, machine works, nail works, and paper mills. Stalybridge was created a market-town in 1828, was incorporated as a municipal borough in 1857, and obtained the privilege of returning a mem- ber to parliament in 1867. The municipal borough (area 806 acres) had a population of 21,092 in 1871, and 22,785 in 1881 ; its limits were extended in 1881 to 3120 acres, with a population of 25,977. The population of the parliamentary borough (area 2214 acres) in 1871 was 35,114 and in 1881 it was 39,671. The area added to the municipal borough in 1881 was in 1885 included in the parliamentary borough also, - the population of this extended area being 42,863 at the census of 1881.