HAJDI-SZOBOSZLO is a corporate town, 1.2 miles to the S.W. of Debreczin, with which it is connected by railway. Among the principal buildings are a Calvinist church and school, and a royal law-court. Population 12,269.
The Ilajdilk district was made over to the Hajdas in 1605, with special privileges and the rights of nobility, by the Transylvanian prince Stephen Bocskay, as a reward for military service rendered him in his revolutionary campaigns. The inhabitants were confirmed in their possessions by the diet of 1613. From 1849 to 1860 the district was united to the county of North Bihar, but it afterwards received a separate cantonal organization. It now forms the principal portion of the new county of )Lakin, constituted in 1876, and including, along with the old Hajdiak district, portions of the neighbouring counties of Szabolcs and Bihar. Debreczin is the capital, and the population is computed at about 163,000, mostly Magyars.