GRAVINA, a city of Italy, in the province of Bari, is situated on a hill to the left of the river Gravina, 7 miles from Altamura, and 37 S.W. of Bari. It is surrounded by tower-flanked walls, and has a cathedral, and a castle which belongs to the Orsini family, of which the eldest branch still keeps the title of duke of Gravina. A great cattle fair is held in the town on April 20; a fine breed of horses is raised in the neighbourhood ; nitre is collected from the tufa rock of the district; and cheese, macaroni, and earthenware are manufactured. Population in 1871, 14,194.