district town miles central
HAZARIBAGH, a British district iu the lieutenant-governorship of Bengal, India, lying between 23° 25' and 24° 48' N. lat., and between 84° 29' and 86° 38' E. long. It is bounded on the N. by the districts of Gaya and lionghyr, on the E. by the Santa Parganas and Manbhtim districts, on the S. by Lohardaga, and on the W. by Lohardaga and Gaya; it forms the north-east portion of the Chutia Nagpur division, and has an area of 7020 square miles.
The physical formation of Hazaribagh exhibits three distinct features - (l) a high central plateau occupying the western section, the surface of which is undulating and cultivated; (2) a lower and more extensive plateau stretching along the north and eastern portions ; to the north, the land is well cultivated,, while to the east the country is of a more varied character, the elevation is lower, and the character of a plateau is gradually lost ; (3) the central valley of the Damodar river occupying the entire southern section. Indeed, although the characteristics of the district are rock, hill, and wide-spreading jungle, fine patches of cultivation are met with in all parts, and the scenery is generally pleasing and often picturesque. The district forms a part of the chain of high land which extends across the continent of India, south of the Nerbudea on the west, and south of the Son river on the east. The most important river of Hazaribagh is the Damodar, with its many tributaries, which drains an area of 2480 squat e miles. The only other river of any importance is the Barakhar. The jungle gives shelter to wild animals of all sorts. Game birds are plentiful.
The census of 1872 showed a population of 771,875 (males, 397,045; females, 374,830). Belonging to aboriginal tribes there are 57,120 ; send-Hinduized aborigines, 216,712 ; Hindus, 421,622 ; persons of Hindu origin not recognizing caste, 2664 ; Irlahometans, 72,338 ; non-Asiatics, 1362 ; and mixed races, 57. Three municipalities contain more than 5000 inhabitants : - Haairib:igh, 11,050; Ichak, 8999 ; and Chatrd, 8818. The only place of special interest is Parasnath Hill, a celebrated place of pilgrimage, which is annually visited by large numbers of Jain worshippers. The revenue in 1870 amounted to £32,841, and the expenditure to £31,367. The regular police force (1872) numbered 557 men of all ranks ; municipal force, 65 ; and rural police, 3834 men ; maintained at a total cost of £15,763. There were, in 1873, 86 schools with 2183 pupils. Dice is the staple crop, and the three principal kinds are grown. Among the other crops are wheat, barley, Indian corn, the usual pulses and green crops of Bengal, jute, flax, aloes, sugarcane, opium, cotton, &c. The trade is concentrated at Cheri, the great central market. The chief exports are lac, metal cooking utensils, ght, iron, and cattle ; and the imports, rice, salt, cattle, and tobacco. There are 400 miles of road. Six et-di-fields are known to exist in the district, - the most important being that of Karharbiiri, which is capable of supplying 250,000 tons a year for 300 years. In 1877 there were three tea plantations containing mature plants, and one on Pdrasndth Hill which promises well. The average mean temperature for 1874 was 740 Fr.; the average The history of the district is involved in obscurity until 1755, about which time a certain Mukund Sinh was chief of the country. In a few years he was superseded by a Tej Sinh, who had gained the assistance of the British. In 1780 Hazaribagh, along with the surrounding territory, passed under direct British rule.
11.47ARIBiG11, the chief town and administrative headquarters of the above district, is picturesquely situated on the high central plateau of the district, at an elevation of 2000 feet above sea-level, and in the midst of a group of conical hills, 23' 59' 21" N. lat. and 85° 24' 32" E. long. The town is little more than a cluster of villages, with intervening cultivation, which have sprung up round the military Lilac. Hazaribtigh has been the military headquarters of the district since 1780, and the seat of civil administration since 1834. The cantonment lies southeast of the town. Population in 1872, 11,050 (6312 males, 4738 females) : - Hindus, 7210 ; Mahometans, 3334 ; Christians, 52 ; "others," 374.
HAZEBROUCK, a town of France, capital of an arrondissement of the same name in the department of Nord, is situated on the Bourre, 32 miles W.N.W. of Lille, in a district formerly covered with marshes. It stands on the Lille and Calais Railway, at the junction of the branch from Dunkirk. The town is governed by a sub-prefect, and has a court of primary instance with two juges de paix, besides various offices of excise and inland revenue. There are numerous religious and charitable societies including the Freres des Ecoles Chrdtiens, Scours de Charite, and Dames de la Sainte Union. The convent of Capuchins, built near the town in 1854, is now occupied by a school. Hazebroack contains some handsome public buildings, as the church of St Nicolas, with a tower 260 feet high, of fine open work, built about 1520, the hotel de vine (18071813), the prison for the department, two theatres, and the communal college. The Augustinian convent, built in the 16th century, with a facade of the 17th century, is now occupied in its several parts by the hospital, a tobacco-warehouse, a market, and college lecture-rooms. A. chamber of agriculture meets in the town, where there are also a small public library and a secondary school. The principal mauttfactures are linen cloth, thread, soap, beer, oil, lime, and salt. There are also tanneries, salt-refineries, corn-mills, and dye-works, Trade in country produce, cattle, timber, and hops is also carried on. Population (1876) of the district 9857, of the town 6363.