HALLUIN, a town of F•anee, in the department of Nord and arrondissement of Lille, and 11 miles N.N.E. of Lille, is situated near the right bank of the Lys. It contains several religious and benevolent institutions, including a hospital. The manufactures comprise linen and cotton goods, bricks, and oil. The family of Halluin or Halowin is mentioned as early as 1266. Baron Walter II. was one of the forty hostages sent to England in 1360 in exchange for the french King John. George of Halluin or Halowiu was a general in the service of Henry V., and an ambassador to England. He died in 1537, leaving several treatises in Latin. The family, to which the title of duke had been granted in 1581, became extinct about the middle of the 17th century. Population of the town (1876), 8584.