HINCKLEY, a market-town of England, county of Leicester, is situated 13 miles S. W. of Leicester, on a branch line between that town and Nuneaton, which connects the London and North-Western and the 1%.lidland railways. The principal buildings are the church of St Mary, a Gothic structure lately restored, with tower and spire 120 feet high ; the town-hall ; the priestshouse and Roman Catholic academy named St Peter's Priory ; and the union poorhouse, erected in 1838, with accommodation for 400 inmates. There are a grammar school, a national school, and board schools. Hinckley is the centre of the stocking-weaving district, and its speciality is circular hose. It also possesses breweries, brick and tile works, and lime works. There are several mineral springs in the neighbourhood, and at one of these baths have been erected. The population in 1871 was 6902.
Hinckley was created a barony soon after the Conquest, when it was held by Hugh de Grentismenil, who erected a castle, the ditch of which is still traceable, and also founded a priory of Benedictine monks. Originally the town had the privileges of a borough, but these were annulled by Edward IV. Mention is made of "Hinckley Fair" in the second part of Henry IV., act v. sc. 1.