HALL (generally known as Swabian Hall), a town of Wiirtemberg, circle of Jagst, is situated in a deep valley on both sides of the Kocher, and on the railway from Heilbronn to Krailsheim, 35 miles N.E. of Stuttgart. It is surrounded by strong walls, and possesses seven churches, one of them dating from the 15th century and having fine mediaeval carving ; a town-house, a lyceum, a real-school of the second order, a hospital, and a house of correction. A short distance south from the town is the old castle of Komburg, now used as a garrison for invalid soldiers, with a richly adorned Benedictine church dating from the 12th century. The town is chiefly known for its extensive salt-works, supplied by means of a pipe from Wilhelmsgliick mine, 5 miles distant. Connected with the salt-works there is a salt-bath and whey-diet establishment. The other industries of the town are cotton-spinning and weaving, and the manufacture of leather, soap, starch, sago, brushes, pencils, machines, carriages, and metal wares. The population in 1875 was 8430.
Hall originally belonged to the counts of Westheim, and later to the Knights Templars. It was made a free imperial city in the 14th century, and was afterwards included in the different leagues of the cities, knights, and counts. In 1802 it came into the possession of Wiirtemberg.