GRANTHAM, a municipal and parliamentary borough and market-town of England, county of Lincoln, is situated on both sides of the Witham, at the junction of several railways with the Great Northern line, 105 miles N.N.E. of London and 22 miles S.S.W. of Lincoln. The parish church, a spacious Gothic edifice of the 13th century, has been restored by Sir G. G. Scott. It is surmounted by an elegant spire 274 feet high, and has an elaborately carved front, and some splendid monuments. At the free grammar school, founded by Bishop Fox in 1528, Sir Isaac Newton received part of his education. Among the other public buildings are the guild-hall, with a spacious assembly-room, the two exchanges, the town-hall, the literary institution, the gaol, the dispensary, and the workhouse. A bronze statue of Sir Isaac Newton was erected in 1858. The principal trade is that of malting, which is carried on to a considerable extent. There are also tanneries and coach factories, and a large agricultural implement factory and iron foundry. Grantham returns two members to parliament. The population of the municipal borough (area, 406 acres) in 1871 was 5028, and of the parliamentary borough (area, 5811 acres) 13,250.