GUAIDO TADINO, a town of Italy, in the province of Perugia and circondario of Foligno, with a station on the line from Ancona to Rome about 53 miles from the former city. It is picturesquely situated in the lap of the Apennines on the post-road that leads to the Furlo Pass. The cathedral and several of the other churches possess paintings by Nicol() and Matteo da Foligno of the 15th century. In 1871 the inhabitants of the commune numbered 7799. Gualdo has inherited the distinctive epithet of Tadino (which prevents it being confounded with Gualdo near Macerata, or Gualdo Cattaneo near Spoleto) from the ancient Roman town of Tadinum, the ruins of which, discovered in 1750, are situated in the vicinity, not far from the church of Sta Maria Tadina. It was near Tadinum that Narses gained his famous victory over Totila in 552. Recovering from the effects of the Gothic and Lombard invasions, the town, which even then was defended by walls, became for a time an independent cornmane ; but it ultimately passed under the control of Perugia. In 1815 it was incorporated with the Roman States, and in 18:33 it was made a city by Gregory XVI.