Villa Do Rio Pardo
VILLA DO RIO PARDO, a town of Brazil, in the province of Rio Grande do Sul, on the left bank of the Jacuhy at its confluence with the Pardo, about 80 miles due west from Porto Alegre, in 30° S. lat. and 52° W. long. The Jacuhy, chief affluent of the coast lagoon Dos Patos, is navigable by small steamers to this place, which is one of the most flourishing towns in the province, with a total population (1880) of 11,500, including 6000 whites, 4500 Negroes and coloured, and about 1000 civilized Indians. It had its origin in a fort built by the Portuguese at this point in 1751, but was not raised to the rank of a town till 1809. There is a large parish church founded in 1769, besides several other churches and three schools, but no noteworthy buildings. The district is fertile and well-watered, and grows an excellent flax, which supplies a number of local hand-looms. A considerable export trade is carried on by the river craft, which here ship math (Paraguay tea), jerked meat, linen, and other products for the coast towns.