WAVERTREE, a township of Lancashire, partly included within the parliamentary limits of Liverpool, 3 miles south-east of Liverpool Exchange. The churches are all modern. There is a small circle of monoliths on the south-east boundary of the township, called the Calder Stones. A cemetery of the Neolithic period was opened a few years ago. The town possesses roperies and a brewery. An extensive pumping station connected with the Liverpool water-works is in the vicinity. The population of the urban sanitary district (area 1838 acres) in 1871 was 7810, and in 1881 it was 11,097.