WALLASEY, a town of Cheshire, England, on rising ground near a branch of the Mersey called Wallasey Pool, winch bounds it on the S.E., while to the N.W. is the Irish Sea. It is about 2 miles north-west of Birkenhead, of which part of it is practically a suburb, and Wallasey Pool is now occupied by the Great Float, forming an immense dock of about 150 acres. The church of St Hilary, rebuilt in the 18th century, with the exception of the tower bearing date 1536, leaving been gutted by fire in 1857, the whole, except the tower, was rebuilt in the Early English style. The free grammar school, built and endowed by Major Henry Meols in 1656-57, was re-established under a scheme of the charity commissioners, and reopened in 1876. On the shore of the Irish Sea is Leasowe Castle, once known as Mock-Beggar Hall, and supposed to have been erected by the earls of Derby in the reign of Elizabeth, in order to witness the races. On the sides of Wallasey Pool are remains of a submarine forest bed, in which various animal skeletons have been found. The population of the urban sanitary district (which includes Liscard and Poulton, with Seacomb, the total area being 3408 acres) in 1871 was 14,944, and in 1881 it was 21,192.
At the Conquest Wallasey formed part of the possessions of Robert de Rhuddlan, and on his decease became part of the fee of Halton. In the reign of Elizabeth it had a small port, to which there belonged three barques and fourteen men. In 1668 the manor was possessed by the earl of Derby, but various parts afterwards became alienated. For a considerable time the horse races held on what was then a common had considerable reputation, but they were discontinued in 1760. At these races the duke of Monmouth, son of Charles II., once rode his own horse and won the plate.