WORSBROUGH, a township in the West Riding of Yorkshire, is situated on a branch of the Dearne and Dove Canal, and near several branch lines of the Manchester, Sheffield, and Lincolnshire Railway, 9 miles north-west of Rotherham and 3 south of Barnsley. The church of St Mary, an interesting structure with remains of Norman work, but chiefly in the Transition Early English style, underwent restoration in 186.1. It contains some old monuments and brasses. There are extensive collieries and gunpowder mills in the neighbourhood, and the township possesses iron and steel works and corn-mills. A short distance to the west is 'Wentworth Castle, built in 1730 by Thomas, earl of Strafford, on the site of an ancient fortress, and containing a large number of portraits of historical interest. The population of the urban sanitary district (3779 acres) was 6030 in 1871, and 8443 in 1881.