WORKINGTON, a seaport and market-town of Cumberland, England, on the south bank of the Derwent, where it enters the Solway Firth, and on several branch railway lines, 34 miles south-west of Carlisle and 311 miles from London by rail. The Derwent is crossed by a stone bridge of three arches erected in 1841. In the more ancient portions of the town the streets are narrow and irregular, but there are now many spacious streets with handsome houses and shops. The ancient parish church of St Michael was rebuilt in 1770, and, this building having been destroyed by fire in 1887, another is now (1888) in course of erection. The other public buildings are the jubilee hall, the assembly-rooms, the temperance hall, the mechanics' institute, the infirmary, the new covered market, the custom-house, and the bonded warehouses. Near the town is Workington Hall, the seat of the ancient lords of the manor, a quadrilateral castellated structure in great part modern, but still retaining some of the ancient rooms, including that in which Mary queen of Scots is said to have slept when she escaped to England after the battle of Langside in May 1568. The harbour is remarkably safe, and has been improved by the construction of a breakwater 600 feet in length. The Lonsdale dock, 4,1 acres in extent, was opened in 1862. In 1886 37 vessels in the foreign and colonial trade (19,806 tons) entered the port, and 24 cleared (10,495 tons); 1687 in the coasting-trade entered (197,487 tons), and 1682 cleared (206,404 tons). The value of the exports of the produce of the United Kingdom in 1882 was £181,012, but in 1885 it was only £13,845, and in 1886 it was £38,468. The chief exports are pig-iron, lime, coal, steel rails, and steel plates. The value of the imports of foreign and colonial merchandise in 1882 was £57,512, but since then it has declined, and was only £18,282 in 1885, and £27,448 in 1886. A considerable proportion of the imports are, however, from the ports of the United Kingdom, the principal items being iron-ore and moulding-sand. In the neighbourhood there are large collieries, but the chief industry is the manufacture of iron and steel by the Bessemer and Siemens process. There are large blast-furnaces, engineering works, and bolt and rivet and tinplate works. Iron shipbuilding is also carried on : 2 vessels were built in 1886, of 3986 tons. The population of the urban sanitary district (area 641 acres) in 1871 was 7979, which by 1881 had increased to 13,308. In 1882 the area was extended to embrace 3463 acres, the population of that area in 1871 being 8413, which by 1881 had increased to 14,371. The town is about to be incorporated (1888).