VIGO, a town of Spain, in the province of Pontevedra, 486 miles by rail north-west from Madrid,is picturesquely situated on the side of a hill (Castelo) which slopes clown to the southern shore of the Ria de Vigo. The Pia is the most southerly of the great fjords by which the western coast of Galicia is so deeply indented ; Bayona at its mouth is 13 miles from the town of Vigo and Puente Sampayo at its head a somewhat shorter distance. Some of the former walls still remain, and there are two old castles on the hill behind the town ; the older streets retain their narrow, steep, and tortuous aspect. There are some fisheries at Vigo ; but the manufactures of the place are insignificant. Its activity is entirely due to its magnificent anchorage ; it is a regular port of call for several international lines of steamers, and has a very important trade ; the chief imports are cotton and woollen fabrics, sugar, Irides, de., while cattle, sardines, grain, and eggs are exported. The population within the municipal limits in 1877 was 13,416.
Vigo, the ancient 015oca (Ptolemy) or Mots Spacoruidi, has in modern times been more than once attacked by the. English, - by Drake in 1585 and 1589, and by Cobham in 1719. Tie Plate fleet was destroyed by the duke of Ormond and admirals Rooke and Stanhope in Vigo Bay on 22d October 1702.