WALLSEND, a town of Northumberland, England, on the north bank of the Tyne and on the Newcastle and Tynemouth Railway, 4 miles east-north-east of Newcastle. The church of St Peter, erected in 1809 at a cost of £5000, has a tower surmounted by a spire. There are still some remains of the old church of the 1 1 th century in the Transition Norman style. The church of St Luke was erected in 1886 at a cost of £4000. At an early period Wallsend was famous for its coals, but the name has now a general application to coal that does not go through a sieve with meshes -pits of an inch in size. The colliery, which was opened in 1807, has frequently been the scene of dreadful accidents. There are also ship and boat building yards, engineering works, lead and copper smelting works, cement works, and brick and tile works. The ecclesiastical commissioners are lords of the manor. The town is governed by a local board of twelve members. The population of the urban sanitary district (area 1202 acres) in 1871 was 4169, and in 1881 it was 6351.
Wallsend derives its modern name from its position at the extremity of HAnntAN's WALL (q.v.); originally it was the Roman station Segedunum. It had a quay, of which remains have been discovered, and possessed a magazine of corn and other provisions for the supply of the stations in the interior.