HUESCAR, chief town of a judicial district in the Spanish province of Almeria, is situated in a plain, surrounded by mountains on three sides, about 91 miles northeast of Granada. The town occupies a large area in proportion to the number of its houses, and although the older streets are narrow and tortuous, the newer quarters have wide and regular streets. Among the chief buildings are the court-house and the adjoining prison, the hospital, the foundling hospit il, and three schools. There are two pariah churches, dating respectively from 1498 and 1501. About three miles to the east are the ruins of Efuescar la Vicki, a Carthaginian foundation. Pottery, woollen and hempen cloth, linen, and baize are manufactured at Iduesear. There are also oil and flour mills. The export trade is not extensive. The population in 1870 was 5106.