HOWRAH, the largest and most important town in the district of Hooghly, Bengal, and the headquarters of the magisterial district of Howrah, is situated on the right bank of the Hooghly river, opposite Calcutta, and forms a suburb of that city. Since 1785 it has risen from a small village to a town, with a magistrate, subordinate judge, &c., of its own. The total area of flowrah and suburbs within municipal limits is 11.05 square miles ; the population in 1872 numbered 97,784, of wham 54,098 were males and 43,686 females (Hindus, 79,335 ; Mahometans, 16,611 ; Christians, 1484 ; others, 351). The municipal income in 1871-72 was £13,994. The town is lighted with gas ; it contains several large and important dockyards, and is also the Bengal terminus of the East Indian Railway. Mills and manufactories of various sorts are rapidly developing. Communication with Calcutta is carried on by means of ferry steamers, and by a massive pontoon bridge, which was opened for traffic in 1874. Howrah is a suburban residence for many people who have their places of business in Calcutta. Sibpur, one of the suburbs of Howrali,situated opposite Fort-William, a small village at the commencement of the century, is now a flourishing little town. To the south of Sibpur are the Royal Botanical Gardens and the Bishop's College.