NEUILLY-SUR-SEINE, a town of France, at the head of a canton in the arrondissement of St Denis (department of Seine), lies between the line of the Paris fortifications, the Bois de Boulogne, the right bank of the Seine, and the village of Levallois-Perret, which was formerly included within its limits. It is only 3i miles from the centre of Paris by the road to St Germain (a continuation iu the form of a boulevard of the middle avenue of the Champs Elysees), and is practically a mere suburb ; but its broad drives and leafy gardens make it a favourite resort for invalids and city people who wish to enjoy a little country air. Unlike St Denis and Clichy, Neuilly has no large manufactories : convents, boarding-schools, maisons de sante, laundries, &c., give character to the place, which also contains establishments connected with Paris houses for the manufacture of preserved meats, patent leather, colours, chemicals. The population is 25,235.
A castle at Neuilly, built by the count of Argenson in the 18th century, ultimately became the property and favourite residence of the duke of Orleans (Louis Philippe), the birthplace of nearly all his children, and the scene of the offer of the crown in 1830. The buildings, which comprised 30 state apartments, accommodation for 500 attendants, and stabling for 200 horses, were pillaged and burned by the mob in 1848. The park which extended from the fortifications to the river, as well as the neighbouring park of Villiers (also belonging to the princes of Orleans), was broken up into building lots, and is now occupied by a large number of small middle-class houses and a few fine villas. Within the line of the fortifications, but on Neuilly soil, stands the chapel of St Ferdinand erected in the Byzantine style on the spot where the duke of Orleans died July 13th, 1842, from the results of a carriage accident. The stained glass windows were made at Sevres after designs by Ingres; the ducal cenotaph, designed by Ary Scheffer, was sculptured by M. de Triquety ; and the chapel farther contains a " Descent from the Cross," by the last-named artist, a picture by Jacquand, representing the royal family gathered round the dying prince, and an angel executed in Carrara marble by the princess Marie his sister. The castle of Bagatelle, once the property of the count of Artois, now belongs to Sir Richard Wallace.