MULLINGAR, a market-town of Ireland, capital of Westmeath, is situated near the Brosna and on the Royal canal, 44 miles west by north of Dublin. The principal buildings are the parish church with tower and spire, the Roman Catholic church, the court-house the barracks, and the in- firmary. Tanning, brewing, and the manufacture of coarse possessed an Augustine convent founded in 1227, and a Dominican convent founded in 1239, but both were dissolved by Elizabeth. The town was the headquarters of William III. before the siege of Athlone. It formerly returned two members to parliament, but was disfranchised at the Union.