MOLHEIM-AM-RHEIN, the chief town of a circle in the district of Cologne, Prussia, lies on the right bank of the Rhine, 2 miles below Cologne. It is a pretty and well-built town, with important manufactures of silk, velvet, ribbons, sail-cloth, belting for machinery, leather articles, yarn, and chemicals. It also contains a rolling-mill, boiler-works, telegraph-works, malt manufactories, several breweries, and a shipbuilding yard. Miilheim carries on a brisk trade by rail and river, serving as an outlet for the manufactures of Bensberg and Gladbach, and for the wines of the upper Rhine, Nahe, and Moselle. Its educational institutions include a flourishing weaving school and a " real school" of the first class. The most striking building is the modern Gothic church. Though of ancient foundation, Millheim did not receive a municipal charter till 1587. Its industrial prosperity is in great part due to the influx of Protestants expelled from Cologne at the beginning of the 17th century. The population in 1880 was 20,420.
MULHEIM-AN-DER-RUHR, the chief town of a circle in the district of Diisseldorf, Prussia, is situated on the Ruhr, an affiuent.of the Rhine, about 7 miles from Essen and at the intersection of several railways. Like most of the towns in this district, Millheim finds its chief industry in iron-working, and contains numerous blast-furnaces, rolling-mills, foundries, and engine-works ; it also carries on manufactures of leather, wool, cotton, calico, tobacco, paper, and other miscellaneous goods. About 6,000,000 tons of the Ruhr coal are annually forwarded by river and rail from Miilheim, which also carries on a considerable trade in timber and colonial produce. In the neighbourhood are important sandstone quarries, a large zinc foundry, glass-works, and a carpet manufactory. Milheim, which possesses a church of the 12th century, was formerly included in the duchy of Berg, and became a town in 1508. In 1880 it contained 22,146 inhabitants, about two-thirds of whom were Protestants.
miles, and its greatest breadth about 30 miles. Lochs Na-Keal and Scridain form deep indentations on its western coast, and there are a large number of smaller inlets. The coast-line is rocky, and especially on the west there are numerous caverns and horizontal terraces of basalt. The prevailing rock is Old Red Sandstone, but the valleys are filled up with Miocene rocks, consisting chiefly of lava flows and ashes of great terrestrial volcanoes. There is an intrusion of granite towards the south, and also a narrow belt of limestone. The surface is for the most part rugged and mountainous, Ben More rising to the height of 3185 feet. Sheep and black cattle are kept, and barley, oats, and potatoes are grown. Herring fishing is prosecuted at Tobermory, where is one of the best and safest of the western harbours of Scotland. There are several ancient castles, the principal being those of Duart and Aros. The populFition of the island in 1881 was only 5229.