CEVA, the ancient Celia, a town of Italy, in the province of Cuneo and 11 miles east of Mondovi, at the confluence of the Cevetta with the-Tanaro. It was formerly fortified ; and the rock, at the foot of which the town lies, was surmounted by a citadel. It has iron-works and silk-factories, and carries on a considerable trade in its cheese, which was famous even in the time of the Romans. In the Middle Ages it was the centre of a separate marquisate, and during the 16th and 17th centuries it was several times captured by the French and the Spaniards. In 1796 it was taken by Augereau, and in 1800, after having withstood the siege of the previous year, it again fell into the hands of the French. The conquerors destroyed the castle, which had served as a state prison. Population, 4730.