JODHPUR, the capital of the above state, in 26° 17' N.
lat. and 73° 4' E. long., was built by Rao Jodha in 1549, and from that time has been the seat of government of the principality. It is surrounded by a strong wall nearly 6 miles in extent, with seventy gates. The fort stands on an isolated rock, and contains the mahanlja's palace, a large and handsome building, completely covering the crest of the hill on which it stands, and overlooking the city, which lies several hundred feet below. The city contains many handsome buildings - palaces of the maharaja, and town residences of the tialkurs or nobles, besides numerous fine temples and tanks. Building stone is plentiful, and close at hand, and the architecture solid and handsome. Three miles north from Jodhpur are the ruins of Mandor, the site of the ancient capital of the Purihar princes of Marwar, prior to its conquest by the Rahtors.