KAIRA, chief town and headquarters of the above district, situated 5 miles south-west of Mehmadabad railway station, in 22° 44' 30" N. lat., and 72° 44' 30" E. long. It is a very ancient city, having a legendary connexion with the Mandlnicirata, and is proved by the evidence of copperplate grants to have been known as early as the 5th century. Early in the 18th century it passed to the Babi family, with whom it remained till 1763, when it was taken by the Marhattas ; it was finally handed over to the British in 1803. It was a large military station till 1820, when the cantonment was removed to Deese. Population (1872), 12,681.