JHANG, a British district in the lieutenant-governorship of the Punjab, India, between 30° 35' and 32° 4' N. lat.. and between 71° 39' and 73° 38' E. long., with an area of and Gujranwala, on the W. by Dora Ismail Khan, and on from portions of three separate tracts. Its eastern half embraces a large part of the high dorsal bridge in the Rechna Doab ; thence it stretches across the Chenab into the wedge of land between that stream and the Jhelum, whose waters unite a few miles below the town of Jhang ; while westward again the boundary runs beyond the joint river, far into the heart of the Sind Sagar Dodb. The Ravi also bounds the district for a few miles along its southern edge. So artificial a tract can hardly be said to support a dense population.
At the census of 1868 the population was 348,027 (193,624 males and 154,403 females). The Mahometans numbered 270,819; Hindus, 57,297 ; Sikhs, 2994 ; and " others " 16,917. Only three towns contain a population exceeding 5000-Jhang, 9124 ; Maghiana, 10,525 ; and Chiniot, 11,477. The area under cultivation in 1873 amounted to 241,325 acres, out of an assessed total of 3,650,867 acres. No crops can anywhere be grown without irrigation. Wheat, barley, grain, sarson, chine;, jour, maize, and cotton form the staples of the district. Grain is imported. Country cloth is manufactured at Jhang and Maghhina, and bought up by the To-winds merchants of Afghanistan. Alanufactn•es of gold and silver lace also exist. The principal road from Al Altai' to Wazirabad passes through the chief towns in the district. A bridge of boats is in course of construction (1875) across the united stream of the Jhelum and the Chendb. Both rivers are navigable. The total revenue for 1873 was £49,302. The police force in 1872 numbered 503 men. In 1872 there were 32 Government and 123 native schools, with a joint roll of 3696 pupils. The district bears a good reputation for healthiness. Small-pox and fever form the most prevalent diseases. The average rainfall for the seven years ending 1872-73 was 10 inches. There are seven charitable dispensaries.