KADOM, a town of Russia, in the Temnikoff district of the Tamboff government, 169 miles north-north-east from Tamboff, near the Moksha, a navigable sub-tributary of the Volga. It lies for the most part in a low sandy plain, but the principal church and the Sorova convent are situated on a hill. The public buildings are of no special note. The population was 7365 in 1861, and 7100 in 1870. A considerable trade is fostered by the local fairs and markets.
Kadom is an ancient place ; it was purchased in 1381 along with the Meshtcher lordship by Demetrius of the Don. In modern times it has had a curious administrative history : incorporated with the Kazan government in 1708, it was assigned to the Azoff government in 1719, to the Shatsk province of the Voronezh government in 1725, and to Tamboff in 1779.